alcohol and ruins

Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Friday 13th - Da Da Da Da!!!

It´s Friday 13th something must go wrong. Carefully we leave the hotel and more carefully we start the long drive to LA. The scene is beautiful - miles and miles of deserted sandy beaches, only interupted by an occasional surfer (who always seems to be doing more wave watching than surfing).
We lunch in Santa Barbera - namesake of my favourite American Soap - do they still make it. We eat right on the beach with a bunch of ladies who lunch - hate them - not fair - I want to live like that.
On the last leg - into LA. First Malibu which is impressive, massive mansions clinging to the cliffs with miles of beach infront - and these aren´t even the big houses - they are up the canyon out of sight of us paupers.
We turn onto Santa Monica and the freeway. It´s 5:30 on Friday 13th, rush hour traffic in LA and I´m driving. Could we be tempting fate anymore. We take a turnoff and then Mairi exlaims ´OOPS wrong one´ then 30 frantic seconds later says - it´s OK we´re on freeway 405 to San Diego and we can get off at LAX on this. Crisis averted. We easily make our way to the hotel near LAX and thankfully get out of the car. The drop off point tomorrow is only a mile awys.

Happily, we go to dinner in a chinese across the road - the food looks crap - a buffet of MSG. I bite into a spring roll and somethings wrong. Oh God, my temporary crown had come out. I knew it would eventually but I was hoping sometime July 2005.
We go back to the hotel, I use the dental cement I bought for such an occassion, down the bottle of wine we bought in Napa (saving for a nice ocassion) and to bed.
Friday 13th has struck after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home