alcohol and ruins

Monday, August 02, 2004

1st August - Seattle Highland Games - Again

This time we made it, the first bus got us to Auburn with no problems the second bus was put on by the Games Society and was hired from the School. We rode in a big yellow American School bus that you see on all the TV programs - it is build for kids - no leg room and a magic sign above the drivers head - 'Driver check each seat for sleeping children at the end of every run'.
The games were really big and very different than in Scotland. The tacky candyfloss sellers, the darts games and the stalls where you either win a fish or a teddy bear were all replaced by Scottish Tat selling all sorts of Celtic crap.
Most of the clans has a tent enticing people to join the clan society. Mairi and I approached the MacKenzie tent and spoke to the American guy a shirt which said MacKenzie emblazened on it - Mairi told him she was a MacKenzie all the way from Scotland and he asked her if she wanted to join the clan - Mairi corrected him and said 'I'm already a member of Clan MacKenzie - You mean do I want to join your clan society' the look of shock and annoyance on his face was bad enough but then he bid us farwell and said he hoped we enjoyed the games - basically - piss off!
Alas there was no MacInnes tent probably in the beer tent way too pissed to bother with putting up a tent and displaying nonsence on their idea of being Scottish and in a Clan.
We then settled down to watch some dancing. The Blue Bonnets competition was on and my mother has been trying to get me to remember this for years - once the dancers began I knew why I didn't remember it - it's hard and even thought I saw it 3 times I still couldn't do it.
Then across the field my eyes saw the orange sign with the blue and white writin,g my heart lept and I exclaimed - Irn Bru. We dispensed with the dancing and headed across the field and to our utter delight one stall was selling Irn Bru - all the way from Scotland. They told us this was the first ever shipment in the US - every other year it gets impounded cos of some additive. Fortunately Barrs (lovely man) put an extra sticker on the bottle with the American name of the additive and they let it through. We each bought a couple it's been a month since I've had any.
Lots of the men were wearing new fashionable kilts (or maybe not) - they are called 'utilikilts' and are only one colour and have big combat like pockets on them - very stupid.
My favourite stall of the whole thing had to be the one selling body armour, metal head coverings, dirks, swords and even Claymores. Half of the guys at the games had bought one and were parading about with them in their belt buckles - could you image this in Scotland - neds would be going to the games to start a new Culloden- NO!
The games finished with the massing of the bands - 25 pipe bands in all - it was quite impressive especially as it was very hot, the sun was splitting the sky and we were in a beautiful park in full view of Mt Rainiers snow covered peak glinting in the sun.
On ride back to town with the sun setting, the snow on Mt Rainier went all pink - very romantic - unfortunately I was with Mairi (she was with me) and we were both with our new best friend (whom we met at the games) a Cat Psychologist and Human Medium whom we exchanged phone numbers with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home