alcohol and ruins

Wednesday, July 28, 2004

26th - 29th July - Victoria

The hotels fine two king size beds I think we could get lost. Victoria the capital of British Colombia is a much larger and nicer town than Nanaimo and at first viewing lots more happening. Monday night and lots of bars and restaurants open with lots of people sitting in them. We had dinner in the Sauce - the new thing on the scene and I had a Veggie Schnitzal with a blueberry and Vodka sauce. On the promenade of the harbour lots of street artists were out to impress and Johnny Flash a juggler was quite funny taking the piss out of the crowd and referring way to often to his nether regions.
27th Visited the world renowned Butchart gardens and they were lovely then to a Vine Yard. I didn't know Canada made any wine so we had to try it. I was a bit worried when I saw the menu all German names Reisling and the like, and I don't like German wines. After a quick tour of the Winery we had a tasting. The 4 wines we tasted including a red were actually very palatable, much drier than the German counter parts and not chemically tasting at all. We bought a bottle of Madeline Sylvana and went back to the hotel to get ready whilst drinking the vino. When we eventually staggered out food was not high on our list of to dos. We chanced upon a bar called 'Steamers' and had to go in. A very good Jazz band played to the eight customers and the bar maid serverd us Natchos and Vodka - what more do we need.
28th - beached it all day (or at least the part we were awake!) not really to Scottish Standard beaches - all pebbly and rocky - no golden sands and turquoise seas anywhere maybe we're spoilt. Back down town again for more food the days are starting to feel like an endless search for something to eat. The Garlic Rose took three days to serve us and it wasn't even busy at least I did get to call the waitress a mad old woman to her face and she thought this funny! Back down the promenade full of another bunch of street artists juggeling, palying banjos and spray can painting - can't anybody come up with something a bit different - maybe a few drunken people being sick at the side of the road - isn't that street art in Glasgow?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home